Tuesday 18 November 2008



Diego Maradona has brushed aside Terry Butcher's simmering tension ahead of Scotland's friendly against Argentina, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

Butcher, now assistant manager to Scotland boss George Burley, was in the England side beaten by Argentina in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final in Mexico when Maradona scored his infamous 'Hand of God' goal.

That moment made him public enemy No.1 in England but a hero to Scotland supporters, and Butcher admitted on Tuesday that he would never forgive Maradona and will not shake his hand on the touchline.

The legendary forward, speaking at a press conference live on Sky Sports News, raised his eyebrows when told of Butcher's stance but insisted he would not be distracted.

Alive
Speaking through an interpreter, Maradona said: "I am not going to seek him out, I don't know why Butcher is taking this attitude. If people are fine with me I will greet them.

"I just don't understand why Butcher would take this attitude. Let Butcher get on with his own life and I'll get on with my life.

"I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, if he doesn't shake my hand, I'll still be alive tomorrow."

Maradona, arguably the greatest player ever to grace the football field, is aware of his iconic status in Scotland and is keen to repay the Tartan Army with a memorable match on Wednesday night

No comments: