Tuesday 25 November 2008

Cesc keen to learn from legends


Cesc Fabregas plans to speak with Arsenal legends Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira after being appointed as the Gunners' new skipper.

Fabregas was confirmed as the new holder of the armband at Emirates Stadium on Monday after William Gallas was stripped of the role at the weekend.

Gallas' outspoken criticism of his team-mates led to him being replaced as captain and left out of the squad for Saturday's defeat at Manchester City, although he returned to the starting XI for the clash with Dynamo Kiev.

Gifted young midfielder Fabregas insists his new responsibility will not change his playing style and he plans to speak with former captains Henry and Vieira as he looks to settle into the role.

Fresh start
Writing in his first programme notes, Fabregas said: "I am not a big shouter and to be honest I will not change my playing style now that I am captain.

"I will try to lead by example first of all which I have always tried to do anyway. Away from the pitch, I will try to be normal, be myself, and with the help of everyone else at the club I am sure we can get through this bad period and have a fresh new start this season.

"I am lucky enough to have played under three great captains since I joined Arsenal and I would definitely like to take things from each of them.

"Patrick Vieira was a truly amazing captain. He led by example, in the dressing room he was always relaxed, making jokes, talking to the guys - he was one of us. He never said too much before the games, but on the pitch you always knew you could count on him to go to war with you.

"Thierry was the best player in the world when he was here and was definitely a guy you knew would always be there at the decisive moment.

"I still speak to Thierry on the phone occasionally and will ask him about it. I have lost touch with Patrick a bit, but I would love to speak to him too about the job because he has so much experience."


Respect
Fabregas also paid tribute to Gallas, who had come under increasing scrutiny ever since his bizarre response to the emotional draw with Birmingham in February last year, when he sat alone and close to tears in the centre-circle at the final whistle.

"I have a great respect for William," the Spain international added.

"A lot of people from the outside have been very unfair with him because he is a great guy, a great professional and he always tries to do everything to help this club.

"You can never doubt his commitment to the club. It has been spot on since the first day and he has been a big, big player for us."

No comments: